Friday, January 18, 2008

They don’t call him ‘Sir’ for nothing!

Well hello again to all of my fans out there in cyberspace (haha or should I say, hello to my good friends that actually bother to check my blog every once in a while). I hope you’re all enjoying reading my posts as much as I am writing them. For me, blogging has almost become an online diary. Even though I initially set out to discuss matters regarding celebrities, politics, etc, my posts seem to revolve mainly around my own life. I guess I just have so many stories to share with the world. So I hope you find them interesting and entertaining. If not however, don’t worry, I will try to talk about things other then myself in the future (haha but not for this particular post). Enjoy!


Well even though it was a few weeks ago, I simply must talk about seeing Elton or should I say ‘Sir. Elton John’ in concert recently! I was completely amazed at how incredible his show was. I guess though you kind of expect to see something truly special when going to the concert of such a successful and timeless performer. Anyways, here’s how my night panned out.


After getting all dazzled up, my mum (who I went to the concert with) and I decided to take a train out to the concert venue. This seemed like a good idea in terms of getting to the concert as quickly as possible but proved to be a very bad choice! Firstly, the train was absolutely packed and there were no seats, meaning we had to stand. Now when wearing three inch high heels, this is not a good position to be stuck in. So you’re probably thinking “Jeez ‘drama queen’ didn’t you learn anything from the last concert you attended, in regards to OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) issues and high heels?” In my defense however they were really nice shoes and besides an Elton John concert is more of a chilled out, sit down event as opposed to a hard core rock concert (where flat shoes would be required) haha enough said! So there I was swaying around the carriage trying not to fall over, with my mum also holding onto me because she’s a total germ freak too (refer to first blog – “Life of a germ freak”) and didn’t want to hold on to the filthy metal hand rails. And then just my luck, this seemingly innocent Indonesian man standing beside us started to make conversation. All seemed fine until he stated that there were “too many Chinese people on the train and that they should all be blown up!” I was absolutely horrified, not only at how incredibly racist this man was but also by the possibility that he was perhaps contemplating blowing up the train. His evil laugh also did not help to convince me otherwise. Needless to say, it was not the greatest way to start the evening!

The rest of the night however was a lot better!!!

When we first got to the concert venue, we bought some merchandise - program, concert dvd, and a cd of Elton’s greatest hits, etc. We then took our seats and listened to the supporting act which was 18 year old singer Eran James. He performed songs from his latest album “Ten Songs About Love”. I actually really liked his style of signing / performing. He’s a bit like Michael Buble meets David Campbell, meets well … Eran James! hahaha.

Elton then came onto the stage and all I can say is that he is truly a class act. Unlike trashy singers like Britney Spears (sorry Brits if you’re reading this but we all know it’s true) who need back up dancers, backing tracks, etc to make them look good, Elton can actually sing and perform. He has such an amazing voice that you kind of just get lost in all of his beautiful ballads and even his more up-tempo songs just take you to a different place. The whole crowd was just so impressed with everything he did. He just sat there at the piano and sang for 2hrs30mins straight and received a standing ovation after every song!

In terms of highlights, well every song was amazing. Elton performed so many of his hit songs but I particularly loved:

The opening song which was “Your song” – it took me back to Moulin Rouge where

Ewan McGregor serenades Nicole Kidman. I just love that movie!

Rocket Man”

Tiny Dancer” – one of my favourite songs, used in one of my all time favourite

movies – Almost Famous, love it!

“Bennie and the Jets”

“Electricity” – from the Billy Elliot Musical, it was amazing! I can’t wait to see that

show!

“Circle of life” from The Lion King. That movie was made for such wonderful lions as

myself. I’m such a proud Leo, I love long walks on the beach, sunsets … haha.

And ballads that make you want to cry, they’re just soo good!

Candle in the Wind” – Elton’s performance of this song brought tears to my eyes

thinking about Princess Diana and Marilyn Monroe, such sad and tragic

deaths!

“Sorry seems to be the hardest word”

“Don’t let the sun go down over me”


Overall the concert was simply amazing! I had a great time with my mum and we had fabulous seats as well which were very close to the front. I could have seriously listened to Elton’s music for hours. He is one of those truly gifted performers that everyone should see, if they really want to be entertained by great music. He certainly lives up to all the expectations you could possibly have. Well, I guess they don’t call him ‘Sir’ for nothing!!!


No comments: